The research service wing of Indian Council of Agriculture Research (ICAR) is Agriculture Research Services or ARS. ICAR is organized under DARE or Department of Agriculture Research and Education, Ministry of Agriculture, Government of India. The Agriculture Scientists Recruitment Board or ASRB was established back in the year 1973 on 1st November on the recommendation of Gajendra Gadkar report. ASRB was created for admitting talented scientists into ARS. ARS conducts research in agro forestry, animal husbandry, agriculture, fisheries and other allied sciences. The candidates who get selected in the ARS examination perform these researches.
ARS Exam 2019
Research conducted by ARS scientists have helped India to be self-reliance in the production of food grains, crops, milk, eggs, fish and other related products. ARS is a premier research institution in the field of agriculture and candidates who hold a master degree in agriculture related disciples do not have to look any further for a better career option in India.
The ARS exam is conducted by the ASRB board in 3 phases. The phases are preliminary, mains and interview/viva voice. The candidates who qualify the prelims appear in the mains list and candidates who qualify the mains appear in the interview list. Once the candidate successfully qualifies the interview round of the ARS exam, he/she has imparted training called FOCARS or Foundation Course for Agriculture Research Services. FOCARS is provided at NAARM or National Academy of Agriculture Research and Management. The candidates are provided Ph.D. degrees in their stream of study which corresponds to their master’s degree. These new entrants to ARS are designated as scientists and get the salary of class 1 cadre central government officer. They get pay in the pay band 15600 -39100 with 6000-grade pay.
The ASRB board also participates in one more examination for the agricultural master degree holders. This exam is called National Eligibility Test or NET which is conducted by UGC or University Grants Commission. NET is an All India Examination for Master Degree holders in different streams of study for example management, agriculture, law, chemistry, zoology etc. By clearing the NET and appearing in the pass list, a candidate gets qualified for assistant professor/lecturer ranks in his/her master degree subject area. Several states and central universities provide job to candidates as assistant professors on the basis of the NET exam and their score in it.
ARS 2019 Eligibility Criteria
- There are 55 disciples of study in ARS. For getting into ARS and then into the PhD course, a candidate must have the master’s degree of that particular agriculture stream. Those appearing for their agriculture related master’s degree in 2019 can also sit in ARS exam but they will admitted to ARS only if they clear the exam before they are selected for the scientist post. More information regarding the various disciples of ARS can be obtained from the official website of the ARS board.
- The minimum age limit of the ARS examination is 21 years while the maximum age limit is 32 years. There is no age limit for the NET exam
- A candidate can attempt the ARS exam a maximum o 4 times.
ARS NET 2019 application form
- The candidates who want to apply for the ARS exam or NET exam can obtain the application form of the prelims ARS exam from the official website of the board which is asrb.org.in.
- They will be provided option in the application form for ARS, NET or both. A candidate may choose his/her desired exam/exams.
- The candidate must have an email id in order to get registered on the official website of SRB board during the online form filling process. The email id is also important in other regards as all future correspondence regarding the examination will be conveyed by the ASRB to the candidate through this email id only.
- The candidate should fill the ARS online application form step by step with all the required personal and educational details.
- The candidate must also upload his/her digital photograph and signature in the online application form in the required spaces.
- The application fee for the ARS preliminary exam can be filled online through credit/debit card or through net banking. The candidates can also deposit the fee by e-challans.
ARS NET 2019 application fee
The application for ARS exam alone is Rs 500 for General (UR) and Other Backward Class (OBC) candidates. Women, SC, ST and Physically Handicapped Candidates are not required to pay any fee for ARS examination.
The application fee for NET alone is Rs 1000 for general and OBC candidates. It is Rs 250 for SC, ST and PH candidates. NET is free for women candidates.
If a candidate wants to appear for both the exams (ARS and NET) then the fee is Rs 1500 for general and OBC candidates and Rs 250 for SC, ST and PH candidates. Women need not pay any fee for appearing in both the exams.
ARS 2019 mains exam
Once the candidate gets qualified in the prelims examination, he /she will be notified by the ASRB board. The selected candidates have to clear the mains examination and then finally the interview. The results of all the stages of selection are uploaded on the official website of the ASRB board.
Before appearing for the mains exam, the candidates may be asked to fill the application form of ARS mains exam. The ARS mains application form would also be available on the official website of ASRB board. The main exam candidates must download the form and send it to the specified address. The candidates may also be asked to send some documents along with the application form. These documents may include Xeroxes of:
- Date of birth certificate in the form of class 10th
- Master degree certificate/ provisional degree certificate.
- Master degree mark sheet.
- Bachelor degree mark sheet and certificate.
Other documents may also be required.
Mode of ARS Prelims examination
The ARS 2019 prelims examination will be conducted online at 23 centers located throughout India. The candidates will mark the objective type answers on the computer through mousse. The prelims examination will have 120 short answer types’ questions and the candidates will have 2 hours for answering them. The questions will be based on the optional subject that the candidate has opted for in the ARS online application form i.e. his/her master’s degree subject. A right answer will give the candiadte1 mark. There is negative marking in the exam and 1/3 marks will b e deducted from the total score for each wrong answer.
Mode of ARS Mains examination
The ARS mains exam is a conventional paper and pen exam and is conducted at 12 centers located across India. The whole paper will carry 240 marks. The paper will have 3 parts viz. A, B and C. Part A will consist of 40 short answer type questions (answers not exceeding 10 words) and each question of part A will carry 2 marks. Part B will have 20 questions and each question will carry 5 marks. The questions of part B can be answered in 1 or 2 paragraphs or graphically. Part C will consist of 6 essay type (descriptive) answer questions that will carry 10 marks each.
Viva Voice or interview of ARS exam
The board for viva-voice will access a candidate’s mental intelligence level and his knowledge. He/she should not only know about his/her subject but should also know about new discoveries and other current affairs topics as well.
Tentative diary of events for ARS 2019
The online application form of ARS preliminary exam is not yet out on the internet on the official website of ASRB. The prelims online form will be available on the website link given below from April 2019 to May 2019.
All the other dates (for example admit card issue date, exam date, result date etc.) will be specified in the application form prospectus/brochure.
ARS 2019 admit card
The admit card of the ARS will be uploaded on the official website of the ARS board. The candidates my get communication in this regard on their email addresses. The admit card will have the details like name of candidate, name and address of examination venue, date and timings of examination etc. The candidates must carry the admit cards to their examination centers or else they may not be permitted to appear in the exam.
Thanks for visiting Education God. Subscribe to our website or like our Facebook page to get continuous updates about the exam you care for 🙂
Latest posts by Hemlata Saini (see all)
- How to crack GATE 2019 – 14 Excellent tips & tricks - Feb 1, 2018
- GATE 2019 eligibility criteria – All conditions - Feb 1, 2018
- GATE 2019 required documents - Feb 1, 2018